Chris Durkin Gives Hokies Additional Options at Quarterback

by JustinC on December 18, 2013 · 8 comments

• wp socializer sprite mask 32px Chris Durkin Gives Hokies Additional Options at Quarterback

20131003 SATW DURKIN 1381272260447 3417128 ver1.0 640 480 Chris Durkin Gives Hokies Additional Options at QuarterbackWhen it comes to recruiting, I’m done trying to predict the future. For all we know, Greg Stroman and Steve Sobczak will be the two more successful players in this recruiting class despite not being ranked very high by any recruiting service. That said, talent is still talent and it helps to have a boatload of it.

For those who don’t follow recruiting very closely, the Hokies landed a commitment from Chris Durkin, a four star quarterback out of Ohio earlier this week. Durkin is a big body and plays a very physical style of football. He is built like Brian Urlacher but just so happens to possess a fairly strong arm. All signs point to the Midwest signal caller starting his career out at quarterback and likely staying there for the long haul.

What I like most about this commitment is it gives Tech more options in the future. I think the one issue we’ve struggled with under Frank Beamer is that we often put all of our eggs in one basket for some players. We did that with Tyrod Taylor and it worked out. We kind of did that with Vinston Painter and it bit us, especially since offensive tackle is a position where you should have a lot of bodies.

Durkin’s film is a bit of a mix between Tim Tebow and Ben Roethlisberger. He’s physical in the running game, often launching himself at smaller defenders but also possesses the raw ability you need to be a starting quarterback in the ACC. At this point, I don’t know who the coaches like better but I think you have to be happy about bringing in two very talented prospects in Durkin and Andrew Ford. Whoever is the best in that battle is going to take this Virginia Tech offense to new heights.

If you’re interested in watch Durkin’s senior highlight film, you can do so over on his Hudl profile.

ALSING1b Chris Durkin Gives Hokies Additional Options at QuarterbackHokie Fans! Do You Use a Smoker or BBQ for Pork or Beef? Or Do Any Type of Grilling?

Alsing Meat Claws Chris Durkin Gives Hokies Additional Options at Quarterback - These meat handler forks make shredding smoked pork or shoulder a breeze.

The folks at Alsing are offering Virginia Tech Fans the chance to get them on Amazon Chris Durkin Gives Hokies Additional Options at Quarterback at a 30% discount with Promo Code 'MEATCLAW'

Montae Nicholson Set to Announce

Four star safety prospect Montae Nicholson out of Pennsylvania is going to announce his decision tomorrow afternoon at his high school. All indications point to either Michigan State or Pittsburgh being the team that lands him. I’d put my money on Pittsburgh here.

Nicholson had some renewed interest in the Hokies this fall, even making his way down for a visit in October. However, I don’t see the coaching staff taking him with scholarships being so tight. I think there’s been some communication between the two sides here and that may be why Michigan State is trending with him recently. I would be shocked if he put on a VT hat tomorrow.

facebook logo Chris Durkin Gives Hokies Additional Options at Quarterback
186 Chris Durkin Gives Hokies Additional Options at Quarterbackyoutube icon Chris Durkin Gives Hokies Additional Options at Quarterbackemail Chris Durkin Gives Hokies Additional Options at Quarterback

feed icon Chris Durkin Gives Hokies Additional Options at QuarterbackEnjoy this post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed and never miss another! Or sign up to get exclusive VirginiaTechFan.com Sports Analysis delivered straight to your inbox!

GBD December 18, 2013 at 7:03 pm

He reminds me of a right handed Tim Tebow and reading some of his interviews he sounds like him too from a confidence stand point. I love this pickup I hope we close out the 2014 class strong!!!

Ben December 18, 2013 at 9:06 pm

According to Rivals and ESPN Durkin is the higher ranked QB, According to Scout Travon McMillian is our highest rated QB, and according to 247 sports Andrew Ford is our highest rated QB. It looks like we have some options moving forward. Which QB do you think has the greatest upside and talent, and do you see any of them pushing for the starting job next fall? Also, is Ford the only one enrolling early?

JustinC December 19, 2013 at 11:49 am

I really like Travon McMillian but I don’t think he’s going to be a QB. I know a lot of people will want to compare him to Russell Wilson but I just don’t see that in him. He’s not the playmaking type back there. I could see him doing very well at WR or defensive back. He’s a smart enough kid to succeed wherever the coaches slot him.

Out of the two true QB’s we’ve taken, I think Durkin has the attitude you want. I don’t think he’s quite as polished as Ford but he has that toughness and leadership quality you look for. He’s a team-first guy and somebody I think the VT faithful would love. Ford is still probably the odds on favorite to be in the mix this fall. With Durkin coming in, I wouldn’t be too upset if Ford played this coming season. Durkin could redshirt and those two could battle it out next year. Overall, I like Ford’s ability to move and manage the offense. That’s really what I want out of our QB. We’ve had a lot of playmakers there in the past but the offense works best when you have a distributor at QB. Much like in basketball, a team can hurt itself when the majority of it’s offense comes from one position.

Honestly, I’m just happy we have these choices and whoever emerges from this group is going to give us the best chance to get back to our 11 win seasons.

Ted December 18, 2013 at 11:45 pm

Why can’t we use both? Use Durkin in Wildcat situations, for example. He does have the same skills as Tebo and Logan. Ford is more of a open-field QB. I saw a little Johnny Football in him.

I am not a fan of dual QBs. But, I really like having the option of a different style QB for a given game situation, or for different games against different type defenses.

I dunno’. Just thinkin’.

JustinC December 19, 2013 at 11:51 am

Well, you can but roles have to be clearly defined. I think our coaches should really study what Duke has done with Brandon Connette and use that in the next few years. Connette has developed as a quarterback, although he is still limited in the throws he can make. However, Duke often lines him up at wide receiver, tight end, running back, or fullback. He’s a versatile guy that’s a nightmare to gameplan for. I could see Durkin being that type of player. If he’s one of your 11 best guys but isn’t the no. 1 QB, I think going that route may be an explorable option.

Ted December 20, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Totally agree. Putting them both in the lineup at the same time for certain situations would be a nghtmare for a defense. Throw in MicMilan at H-back, and ….. wow. Boggles the imagination.

We certainly need something different for our redzone offense. Gettin’ tired of 2 up-the-middle’s, a no-surprise pass in the end.zone to the usual receiver, and then a field goal attempt.

Brian December 21, 2013 at 12:01 am

THE DURK’DOZER!!!

kenroe December 20, 2013 at 2:25 am

From what i understand McMilian is just a playmaker so i would’nt discount him just yet