VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky Hodges

by JustinC on August 24, 2013 · 9 comments

• wp socializer sprite mask 32px VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky Hodges
  • wp socializer sprite mask 32px VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky Hodges
  • wp socializer sprite mask 32px VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky Hodges
  • wp socializer sprite mask 32px VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky Hodges

7 VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky Hodges

With 7 days until Virginia Tech faces Alabama in the Georgia Dome, we turn our attention to no. 7 on roster Mr. Bucky Hodges. So far this fall, Hodges has shown flashes of potential but it’s clear that his mechanics need an overhaul before he’ll be an impact player here at Virginia Tech. To me, a redshirt year and then a full spring practice session where he can work with Scot Loeffler on mechanics will be a very good thing for him. At this point, Hodges will need to aim to win the starting job in 2015 after Mark Leal graduates next season. That battle between he, Brenden Motley, and Andrew Ford should be a fun one to watch.

The Breakdown

Height: 6’6”
Weight: 235 lbs
Position: Quarterback
Year: Freshman
High School: Salem High School
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

High School Career

As a senior at Salem High School, Hodges completed 126 of 206 for 2,214 yards, with 18 touchdowns and six interceptions. Those numbers are impressive seeing that Hodges played in one of the toughest districts in the state. From a recruiting standpoint, the four star prospect was heavily recruited throughout the Mid-Atlantic region but there was little doubt that he would end up a Hokie on Signing Day. Hodges held offers from Virginia Tech, UCONN, ECU, Illinois, JMU, Maryland, Ohio State, Vanderbilt, UVA, Wake Forest, and West Virginia.

Reasons For Excitement

Upside is Redonkulous: With his size, Bucky will be compared to Logan Thomas throughout his career. As of right now, he is already a better runner than Thomas although I would argue that he doesn’t have the same arm strength as our current starter. Still, the comparisons will be made and I think Hodges is talented enough to overcome them. Like most quarterbacks, he will need time to adjust to the game but I’m excited to watch Bucky develop under Coach Loeffler’s tutelage.

ALSING1b VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky HodgesHokie Fans! Do You Use a Smoker or BBQ for Pork or Beef? Or Do Any Type of Grilling?

Alsing Meat Claws VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky Hodges - These meat handler forks make shredding smoked pork or shoulder a breeze.

The folks at Alsing are offering Virginia Tech Fans the chance to get them on Amazon VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky Hodges at a 30% discount with Promo Code 'MEATCLAW'

Causes For Concern

Mechanics: Whenever you have to fixed a flawed delivery, the results can be mixed. Hopefully, Hodges can fix his throwing motion over the off-season and can show improved accuracy next spring. Just taking a step forward in those two departments would be enough to appease me after only one semester on campus.

What to Expect in 2013

I fully expect Hodges to redshirt with the amount of depth we have at quarterback. Right now, we have four quarterbacks that could be used if needed. There’s no point in adding another quarterback to the mix if he’s not going to play.

Going forward, next spring is going to be crucial for Hodges if he wants to establish himself on the depth chart. Best case scenario is winning the backup job as a redshirt freshman. That establishes him ahead of incoming freshman Andrew Ford and allows Bucky to overtake Brenden Motley who has improved since Loeffler’s arrival. Worst case scenario is finishing next spring 4th on the depth chart behind both of those other quarterbacks and impending starter Mark Leal.

Bottom Line

The Hokies are stocking some talent at quarterback for the future and I’m excited to watch it pan out. While we all may have favorites on who we want to be our starter in 2015, I’m comfortable in knowing that whoever we start is going to be the best we have.

facebook logo VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky Hodges
186 VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky Hodgesyoutube icon VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky Hodgesemail VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky Hodges

feed icon VTF Countdown: #7 Bucky HodgesEnjoy this post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed and never miss another! Or sign up to get exclusive VirginiaTechFan.com Sports Analysis delivered straight to your inbox!

Brian August 24, 2013 at 12:12 pm

How conceivable is it that Motley wins the backup role next year and becomes a 2 year starter after Leal graduates? Sounds like he is flourishing under Loeffler’s instruction here early on.

JustinC August 24, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Very conceivable, honestly. I think you would like to use Bucky as the 3rd string QB next year just so he can travel. That would allow us to redshirt Andrew Ford, which would be a major plus.

We would then head into 2015 with Brenden Motley (R-Jr), Bucky Hodges (R-So), and Andrew Ford (R-Fr). Pretty good pecking order of QBs.

fernleyhokie August 24, 2013 at 2:37 pm

It’s really surprising to see just how poor his throwing motion is. He was a fairly sought after recruit at a well known high school, and it looks like no one ever bothered to correct him simply because he was athletically gifted and could get the ball from A to B. I had thought that Hodges would be battling it out for QB1 next year with Leal, but I have to agree with Brian. Motley looks MUCH better and then Andrew Ford will be coming in and he looks great too.

I just have a feeling Hodges will get left behind if he stays at QB. Did he play any other position in high school?

Brian August 24, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I didn’t mean to sound like I was doubting Hodges ability. As long as he puts in the work, corrects the things he needs to correct, I expect him to get his shot after Leal graduates. Just been hearing a lot of good things about Motley from practice and scrimmage reports. Still early, but he could potentially be a real hidden gem since he wasn’t very highly recruited in HS.

fernleyhokie August 25, 2013 at 4:46 am

My comment was more based off of what I saw on Hokiesports videos. He has a really, really odd throwing motion. Almost like he is rolling his shoulder forward. Very odd. And as Justin says below Loeffler only gets so much time with each kid to work on their mechanics. Unless Hodges goes to get help from other sources during summer and non-season time to fix it fast, I just have a bad feeling he is going to get left behind. I also am pulling for him to be great but at some point his entire throwing motion needs to be relearned. That is going to take him A LOT of time.

JustinC August 24, 2013 at 4:10 pm

You have to give Bucky time and remember, Loeffler only has a set amount of time to coach each guy and as camp marches on, that time gets shifted more and more to the top two on the depth chart. Hodges has some things to clean up but they’ll get him worked out. I want to see him go through a full spring practice before writing him off. I mean he’s only been here a little over a month. Let him develop and we’ll revisit it after the spring game next year.

Gbd August 24, 2013 at 5:29 pm

No disrespect to Motley but I’m shocked he’s sticking at QB. Hope he works out but I would love to see Hodges be a 3 year starter

Tyler August 24, 2013 at 6:02 pm

I agree with GBD. I’m pulling for Bucky, no disrespect to the other guys. I’m just bias to in state guys.

LJ August 26, 2013 at 8:30 pm

Bucky was vastly overrated in high school. His arm strength is way below average. If somebody has video of him throwing with velocity, I want to see it. It’s very hard to coach putting the ball in tight spaces with zip…because of that I don’t see him playing QB until late…maybe his Jr. Year but if I were him, I would start lifting weights because the odds are he will never make it at QB unless our recruiting at that position continues to miss on the top tier players