Robert Brown Set To Transfer From Virginia Tech

by JustinC on March 26, 2013 · 7 comments

• wp socializer sprite mask 32px Robert Brown Set To Transfer From Virginia Tech

5141285d81470.image  Robert Brown Set To Transfer From Virginia Tech

It’s not the off-season if someone on Virginia Tech’s basketball team isn’t transferring or getting hurt. Today, Robert Brown announced via a prepared statement that he is transferring from Virginia Tech to be closer to home. However, this move could be due to his struggles throughout the majority of this 2012-2013 season. Brown started off as the Hokies 3rd scorer this season and then dropped off the radar in ACC play.

Brown finished the season averaging 8.3 points per game but shot the ball at a 33-percent pace. That is well below what he is capable of as a shooter and as a player.

The good news here is that Brown’s departure opens up the door for UNC-Wilmington transfer Adam Smith to start next season. Smith is a natural scorer and a better fit for James Johnson’s system. It will also allow Donte Clark to play a much larger role as a freshman and as a backup at the “2” guard.

Overall, I don’t think Tech fans should fret this news. Brown is a good player and I hope he regains his confidence somewhere down in Florida. He has the ability to be a 15 points per game player at a smaller school in a smaller conference.

For the Hokies, they have a good recruiting class coming in that’s full of the players Coach Johnson wants. Also, Tech will now be able to sign one more player in this class if they wish to do so. While this move may hurt Tech in the short run, it speeds up the transition from this being Seth Greenberg’s program to Coach Johnson’s program. I’ll sacrifice a few wins next year for additional wins in an NCAA tournament year four years from now.

The Starting Five

Browns transfer doesn’t change my projections for next year’s starting five. Here’s a quick rundown.

ALSING1b Robert Brown Set To Transfer From Virginia TechHokie Fans! Do You Use a Smoker or BBQ for Pork or Beef? Or Do Any Type of Grilling?

Alsing Meat Claws Robert Brown Set To Transfer From Virginia Tech - These meat handler forks make shredding smoked pork or shoulder a breeze.

The folks at Alsing are offering Virginia Tech Fans the chance to get them on Amazon Robert Brown Set To Transfer From Virginia Tech at a 30% discount with Promo Code 'MEATCLAW'

PG – Marquis Rankin
SG – Adam Smith
SF – Jarrell Eddie
PF – Marshall Wood
C – Cadarian Raines

The upside for this group is they should be slightly better defensively. Judging Tech’s play last season, they couldn’t get any worse. I like Smith’s tenacity at the 2 and I think he’s quickly going to become a fan favorite. Also, Rankin showed some improvement last season. If takes another step forward this off-season, he’ll lockdown the starting job at point.

Jarrell Eddie will hopefully improve upon this season and enter his final year with a chip on his shoulders. He’s going to have to take over as Tech’s go-to-shooter in key situations.

Cadarian Raines and Marshall Wood are the best options down low although Raines will need to become a more consistent factor as a senior. I think he could be a nine or 10 ppg player. If he can consistently provide those numbers, especially in ACC play, the Hokies will be a much better team.

Wood will likely occupy the four because of his rebounding presence and his ability to run the floor. It will give the Hokies a mismatch at that position offensively.

I don’t love this starting five but there’s potential with this group.

facebook logo Robert Brown Set To Transfer From Virginia Tech
186 Robert Brown Set To Transfer From Virginia Techyoutube icon Robert Brown Set To Transfer From Virginia Techemail Robert Brown Set To Transfer From Virginia Tech

feed icon Robert Brown Set To Transfer From Virginia TechEnjoy this post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed and never miss another! Or sign up to get exclusive VirginiaTechFan.com Sports Analysis delivered straight to your inbox!

jp_daddi0 March 26, 2013 at 6:25 pm

This is not good news. Robert Brown had a bad year; I don’t think he’s a bad player. And in regards to Rankin, no disrespect, but he could have the worst offseason in the history of basketball and it wouldn’t change who starts next year at PG. The is no one on the roster (or coming in the Summer) that could run the point. The fact that a player who would be starting next year in one of the best basketball conferences chose to transfer is damning. Jim Weaver, there is blood on your hands. Good luck, JJ. I think next season will be worse than this one because without Erick Green, we don’t win 4 ACC games and we certainly don’t beat OK State, BYU, etc. Jarrell Eddie and Co. have their work cut out for them…

JustinC March 26, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Yea its hard to look at our starting five and list them next to Duke’s projected starting five and say anything other than “we’re going to get killed.” But, I think we can win games if we can increase our pressure defense, cause more turnovers, and force teams to play at our pace.

hokiefan4life March 27, 2013 at 9:24 am

It’s funny how when a player leaves everyone wants to blame JJ….This is puzziling to me at best. If he wants to go THEN GO! By all means no one wants to see a player come in there program and transfer out like this especially since he wasn’t playing up to his true potential and I know he had a bad season, but this happens. I look at the Wear twins who left UNC they transfered to UCLA I didn’t see anyone say Roy is going to have a horrible season next year and its all the UNC’s AD’s fault for hiring him???? I’m sorry, but transfers happen all the time he won’t be the first won’t be the last I’ve seen Boggs, Thorns and Atkins transfer and I didn’t see anyone blame Greenberg…??? This is what annoys me once again we had a change of coaches as fans sometimes we can hold on to things longer and we have that right, but if Weaver wanted to do his job by fan’s decisions or approval I think he would have been fired a long time ago. It’s also so funny to me how when VT was undefeated at the beggining of the year and everyone was riding the bandwagon and when we start to lose everyone wants to doubt JJ and blame him. How about let’s look at some of the things that has been accomplished we had a player that won the ACC POY that’s never happened before to my knowledge and a first teamer as well. I think what seperates us from other programs is our fans can be more wish-washy than anything instead of getting behind what WE DO HAVE and cheer for our team no matter what. It’s almost like some of our fans are cheering for JJ’s downfall…. I’m sorry Justin, but this annoys me and I apologize to anyone who takes this the wrong way or out of content. I’ve been cheering for the Hokies since I was a little boy I can remember the Ricky Stokes era and that wasn’t too pretty.

Since I’m rambling on how about Greenberg missing out on The Curry brothers???? Almost mind boggling that we didn’t even offer a legacy recruit of one of the all-time scorers in VT basketball history???? My point is if Beamer got a chance to turn his program around why can’t JJ? So if you feel that way then stop rooting for the Hokies don’t turn the tv on just start watching another team and you won’t have to worry about all the dissapointment that you and the other lackluster fans are calling for next season.

Tyler Austin March 26, 2013 at 9:40 pm

What about Barksdale?? Wouldn’t he start at the 4 and Wood come off the bench.

JustinC March 26, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Its possible but the only reason I say Wood is because of his ability to run the floor. CJ isn’t great in transition. Nor is he a guy that’s going to give 120% effort. He is what he is as a player to a fault. Right now, I think he’ll come off the bench but we’ll have to see how he develops this off-season.

Jack March 27, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I’m a little concerned with how well our guards would match up against other guards. Rankin is no taller than 6’0 and Smith is probably 5’10 or 5’11….

Tyler March 27, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I would like to see Rankin at PG (just run the offense, facilitate, and hit the occasional three on a drive and kickout or a post and kickout) Eddie at SG (needs to be are go to guy and become consistent), Wood at SF (if his outside shot continues to improve), Barksdale at PF (just needs to give 110% every game), and Raines at C (become effective in the pick and role more like Van Zegeren did), out of the guys we currently have on the roster but if some of the incoming guys can make any noise then it couldn’t hurt to switch it up.