Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia Tech

by JustinC on January 21, 2013 · 12 comments

• wp socializer sprite mask 32px Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia Tech
  • wp socializer sprite mask 32px Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia Tech
  • wp socializer sprite mask 32px Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia Tech
  • wp socializer sprite mask 32px Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia Tech

Picture 21 300x294 Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia TechThe NCAA Clearinghouse is a dark and desolate place.  An old Victorian house, aloft on a cliff overlooking the valley below.  Lightening flashes, just shy of midnight as an old antique clock hums at the bottom of a cold and damp stairwell.  At least, this is how I envision the Clearinghouse in my mind. For the Hokies, getting some players through the NCAA Clearinghouse has been a house of horrors.  Former 4 star Todd Nolen fell victim to it as did big time LB Deveon Simmons.  Most players avoid this drama but those who are borderline academically often have to sweat it out until they hear the all clear.

For the last two weeks, Virginia Tech fans have been anxious to hear if former four star Drew Harris would be able to enroll this spring.  Sadly, some paperwork was not completed correctly and the Hokies were unable to get the workhorse from Pennsylvania on campus in time for spring practice.  Obviously, that's a bit of a blow to not only Drew but to the running backs as a whole.  Harris has a lot talent so having him come in and compete with Trey Edmunds and J.C. Coleman this spring would have been beneficial.  However, he'll have that opportunity when fall camp resumes this August.

Harris did inform Tech fans that he was still committed via this tweet earlier this afternoon.

Picture 12 Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia TechFor those who don't follow recruiting as closely as I do or others who follow this blog, I'm sure you're wondering how good this kid is.  Here's his rankings pulled from his Hokiesports Signing Day profile:

Ranked as the No. 125 player in the country overall, the No. 9 running back in the country and the No. 3 player in his state by 247Sports … Listed as the No. 22 running back in the country and the No. 11 prospect in Pennsylvania by Rivals … Ranked as the No. 5 player in the state of Pennsylvania by SuperPrep … Listed as the No. 247 overall player in the country and the No. 26 running back in the nation by Scout … Ranked as the No. 19 running back in the country, the No. 43 player in his region and the No. 13 player in the state by ESPN Recruiting Nation … Ranked as the No. 147 overall prospect in the country and the No. 6 “Big Back” in the country by Tom Lemming on MaxPreps.

ALSING1b Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia TechHokie Fans! Do You Use a Smoker or BBQ for Pork or Beef? Or Do Any Type of Grilling?

Alsing Meat Claws Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia Tech - These meat handler forks make shredding smoked pork or shoulder a breeze.

The folks at Alsing are offering Virginia Tech Fans the chance to get them on Amazon Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia Tech at a 30% discount with Promo Code 'MEATCLAW'

Hell, even I was high on him when he committed to us last year.  Here's a snipit from my commitment article on him.

Harris is a bit of a throwback when you look at him on film.  He’s not a burner by any stretch but he possess enough speed to run by most linebackers and safeties at the high school level.  He has great vision and cutback ability although he runs behind a simplified blocking structure...Harris has great vision and I really can’t state that enough.  He’s a natural and instinctive running back that will be a load to bring down after a few years in the Virginia Tech weight room.  He’s not really a shifty guy but he does have good cut back ability and knows how to find a crease in the offensive line.

I think every Tech fan should be relieved that Harris is sticking with Virginia Tech.  That will give Shane Beamer another big time option not only for 2013 but for 2014 and 2015.  The downside is that it gives Harris less time to learn the system and less time for him to state why he should be the starter this fall.  While that's bad news for Drew it will allow running backs coach Shane Beamer to take a long look at Trey Edmunds this spring.  Edmunds was the most impressive player on the scout team last year and he may be primed to explode onto the scene in his redshirt freshman year.

facebook logo Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia Tech
186 Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia Techyoutube icon Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia Techemail Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia Tech

feed icon Drew Harris Will Stick With Virginia TechEnjoy this post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed and never miss another! Or sign up to get exclusive VirginiaTechFan.com Sports Analysis delivered straight to your inbox!

LJ January 21, 2013 at 9:01 pm

Drew Harris is the real deal. Took in a FUMA game this year and he was very impressive. He averaged 11 yards a carry in that game and most of it was after first contact. He has the biggest upside of any RB we currently have on campus. I still think Edmonds has some work to do. He runs upright and does not keep his pads low enough to get extra yards. If that is his style then he needs to develop a spin on contact or he will take some big blows when he rushes inside. Plus I have big hopes for JC Coleman, still think he still can be a really good back in the mold of Ray Rice or Jacquizz Rodgers.

VTnyc January 21, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Can’t wait for Harris to show his skills! I’d prefer Edmonds go back to linebacker.

Ted January 22, 2013 at 12:27 am

Why do we continue to have these problems with paperwork??? Surely Frank has someone assigned to track this stuff. Must be more to it than I understand………

justinc January 22, 2013 at 9:46 am

I honestly can’t figure out who’s side didn’t turn it in on time. Doesn’t sound like it was on VT’s end but when someone asked Harris about it he made it sound like it wasn’t on his end either. So I have no idea.

Ted January 22, 2013 at 10:12 pm

What I guess what I’m really asking is: Does Frank have an “I”s dotted and “T”s crossed guy (or girl) to check all the steps committed recruits (we are talking about 18 yr olds) are supposed to follow to get admitted, or does he rely on the kids/ their parents/current coaches/etc. to make sure things get done………. ‘All of the above’ makes sense to me.

I still don’t understand why we seem to have one of these incidents each year. How common is this with other schools?? …………….. Just askin’.

JustinC January 22, 2013 at 10:16 pm

Well it all falls back on admissions. To be honest, I don’t know how all the paperwork works because I’ve never dealt with it. I have dealt with VT admissions and they are no more terrible than Radford’s admissions but that’s about all the expertise I have.

From what I can tell, it’s common everywhere. That said, its better if the kid just goes to class and studies in high school. Avoiding the clearinghouse is the best way of dealing with it.

LJ January 23, 2013 at 9:23 pm

Facyson, Parker, Osterloh, Wright and McLaughlin enrolled at VT yesterday. Facyson has the only real shot of playing as a true Freshman in this group in my opinion. I think he will impress some coaches in the spring at both WR & CB…

JustinC January 24, 2013 at 9:01 am

As did Dooley and Woody Baron. Baron would be another one that could spurn a redshirt year if he plays well this spring. He’ll need to beat out Alston Smith, Nigel Williams, and Justin Taylor but he has a chance.

But right now, I think Facyson is probably the best bet. I don’t see him redshirting unless an injury occurs.

sparko January 23, 2013 at 9:38 pm

not sure if he has the best spot to play (enter kendall fuller) .. but def has a shot, especially as an early enrollee … SUPER sharp kid (3.95 GPA, wants to be a heart surgeon) and sounds very dedicated with a strong work ethic….this year’s surprise (like josh stanford was)

LJ January 23, 2013 at 10:40 pm

Agree, but there may be room at the 2 deep @ CB or WR..I think he is good enough to avoid a red-shirt and get some time. Also, even though i think Scott L is an average coach I am excited about the recruiting power he and Grimes bring to Blacksburg….excellent article in the Washington Post today

fernleyhokie January 23, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I am interested to see if Loeffler or Grimes has the ability to flip any recruits they have been talking to in the past. I had a quick look at Auburn’s commitment list and could only see 1 OL recruit. But surely Grimes has been talking to kids that will be in the next couple of years, Loeffler as well.

I thought John Baillein was in charge of these issues with Drew Harris. Isn’t he the director of football operations and therefore responsible that ALL things operate smoothly? Of course Beamer is ultimately responsible.

I just keep remembering the disaster that was Tyrod’s pro day, where he was left out to dry and the coaches didn’t seem to care. No one had prepared him with the right information. He couldn’t use the receivers he had been practicing with and thus had a terrible showing. That is also Ballein’s responsibility as I understand. maybe I am wrong, but it left a really bad impression of incompetency.

fernleyhokie January 24, 2013 at 11:01 am

Someone answered my question about flipping recruits already. In case you missed it, check the link below:

Love how this kid already has links to VT with Chung and is getting such a warm welcome from fans.