Coach To Be Named Soon, Pep Hamilton Could Be The Choice

by JustinC on January 7, 2013 · 17 comments

• wp socializer sprite mask 32px Coach To Be Named Soon, Pep Hamilton Could Be The Choice

2022360 crop 650x440 300x203 Coach To Be Named Soon, Pep Hamilton Could Be The ChoiceFor those anticipating a change in the coaching staff, you won’t have to wait much longer. The word on the street is that the Hokies could hire a new Offensive coordinator as early as today. Although, Doug Doughty of the Roanoke Times tweeted a few days ago that he is hearing a decision could be made on Tuesday.

As it stands today, Pep Hamilton, Stanford Offensive Coordinator, continues to be the most discussed name within Virginia Tech social circles. Whether or not he’ll be the coach hired remains a major question mark. One well-respected Virginia Tech site called Pep Hamilton a “longshot” while others say Pep would be “the most likely hire.”

To be honest, I don’t think anybody truly knows who the new coordinator will be. Hamilton would be a good hire for the Hokies, who are looking to perhaps put together one last run at a crown before Frank Beamer hangs it up. Tech has the talent needed on offense to give the new coordinator some weapons at his disposal. The Hokies will have plenty of talented running backs returning, a talented wide receiver in DJ Coles, and some youth on the offensive line. Not to mention Logan Thomas could return for his senior season as well.

The Virginia Tech job is an attractive one so the odds of landing a top coordinator are very high. The reasons for that are simple.

1.) Frank Beamer is very loyal to his assistant coaches. You don’t have to worry about being fired as long as you perform well.
2.) Beamer will only coach four more years. If you perform well then you have a chance at being named the head coach after Frank retires.
3.) The Hokies are close to a couple fertile recruiting areas

ALSING1b Coach To Be Named Soon, Pep Hamilton Could Be The ChoiceHokie Fans! Do You Use a Smoker or BBQ for Pork or Beef? Or Do Any Type of Grilling?

Alsing Meat Claws Coach To Be Named Soon, Pep Hamilton Could Be The Choice - These meat handler forks make shredding smoked pork or shoulder a breeze.

The folks at Alsing are offering Virginia Tech Fans the chance to get them on Amazon Coach To Be Named Soon, Pep Hamilton Could Be The Choice at a 30% discount with Promo Code 'MEATCLAW'

There have been other names floating around such as Georgia OC Mike Bobo, NC State OC Dana Bible, and others. However, I can’t confirm the interest of either of those candidates.

Hopefully, news will break within the next 48 hours. Once it does, check back here for more information on our new coach.

facebook logo Coach To Be Named Soon, Pep Hamilton Could Be The Choice
186 Coach To Be Named Soon, Pep Hamilton Could Be The Choiceyoutube icon Coach To Be Named Soon, Pep Hamilton Could Be The Choiceemail Coach To Be Named Soon, Pep Hamilton Could Be The Choice

feed icon Coach To Be Named Soon, Pep Hamilton Could Be The ChoiceEnjoy this post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed and never miss another! Or sign up to get exclusive VirginiaTechFan.com Sports Analysis delivered straight to your inbox!

Meagan January 7, 2013 at 10:08 am

Can’t wait to see if there is acutally changes made? Has anyone from our current coaching staff been let go? I hope there is at least one change made OC!!!!

justinc January 7, 2013 at 11:47 am

There’s not really a question of if but more of a when and who at this point. The gist I’m getting is that Frank wants to hire somebody to make one last run at a National Title before he retires. Can’t blame him. In your last 4 years, why not throw the kitchen sink at the thing to see if you can accomplish it.

Meagan January 7, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I agree! I hope its mike BOBO or PEP. However I just hope it’s not a let down! This has been a change being a hokie fan. Coaching changes doesnt happen very often! If you had to guess right now who’s your choice?

justinc January 7, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Hard to say. I like Pep but I think he has his weaknesses as well. He currently does not call the plays for Stanford. Head Coach David Shaw does, so that would be one concern. Other than that, I don’t think there’s a bad option out there. I mean anybody we hire will have a better resume than what we had last season.

Brian January 7, 2013 at 1:41 pm

While Bobo would be an improvement over what we had, I couldn’t get excited if he was the hire.

justinc January 7, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I doubt he ends up here so I don’t think you have to worry about that. VT and Pep Hamilton are meeting today in Nashville. Right now he is the leading candidate.

Daniel January 7, 2013 at 3:58 pm

The one thing that worries me about Pep is he has a lot of experience- ie he’s been all over the place, moving jobs every few years. Frank won’t want this guy to come in and bolt for the NFL next year and be back to square one.

Ben January 7, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Do you foresee any recruits decommitting if Stinespring is let go? and how did all of our recruits that played in “all stars” games perform?

ryan January 8, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Stiney wont be let go! to good of a recruiter. He will be moved to just TEs most likely.O’Cain and Newsome are the ones that wont be here next year and I have Sherman is going to Purdue although that has not be annoucned yet.

justinc January 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Stiney will stay on as TE Coach and Recruiting Coordinator more than likely. Shane will them pick up another title as Co-Special Teams Coordinator with Frank. That won’t mean a whole, whole lot as Shane already assists with a good bit of special teams.

As for our players All-Star performances, I thought Holland Fisher looked good in the UA game. Teller played well but was a little overmatched at the AA game and Fuller looked good as well. I never got to see Bucky Hodges play in the O-D bowl so I can’t comment on that. Then Braxton Pfaff missed the Semper Fedelis bowl with a shoulder injury.

Ted January 7, 2013 at 9:56 pm

I wonder if Ralph Friedgen considered. He is a good friend of Frank’s and I thought he was such a well respected offensive mind.

justinc January 8, 2013 at 2:18 pm

No. The last thing we need is another of one of Frank’s buddies on the staff.

Ted January 8, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Don’t misunderstand. That isn’t what I ‘m hoping for. It is more of a concern. I tend to agree with your sentiment.

Scott January 8, 2013 at 2:32 pm

So what is taking so long for any “official” news to come out?

On another note, I actually think we have a good shot at beating bama next year; especially if Logan returns to 2011 form AND the defense has come fully around by then…What are your thoughts Justin?

Thanks and GO HOKIES!!!

justinc January 8, 2013 at 7:06 pm

I never understood why there was a rumor of a Tuesday deadline. This weekend is much more likely.

That said, I agree with your Bama sentiment. Also, the Browns are throwing a ton of money at Saban right now. Probably 50/50 whether he goes or not. That could drastically alter the outcome.

sparko January 8, 2013 at 5:18 pm

you guys should hit up the forum on here .. good info in there. just click the forums button on the top (green) menu (over to the right).

Vhokie January 9, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I am sick and tired of hitting refresh on my browser…I can’t take this anymore Hokies….make an announcement!!!