2013 Recruiting Class Is Star Studded

by JustinC on December 18, 2012 · 13 comments

• wp socializer sprite mask 32px 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star Studded
  • wp socializer sprite mask 32px 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star Studded
  • wp socializer sprite mask 32px 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star Studded
  • wp socializer sprite mask 32px 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star Studded

Kendall crop exact 300x203 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star StuddedAfter looking over my top 30 in-state that I posted back before the start of the season, it’s hard to imagine the Hokies compiling a better class than they did in 2013. Adding a Jonathan Allen would have been nice but he’s not a true in-state recruit. Christian Hackenberg is a good quarterback but so is Bucky Hodges. Derrick Green is physically impressive but lacks great playmaking runs that a five star running back should make.

Other than that, the Hokies cleaned house and will likely finish with their highest class ranking ever. Kendall Fuller becomes their first ever out-of-state five star commit. Holland Fisher spurned Nick Saban and Alabama to stay committed to Tech. Jamieon Moss, the Hokies lowest rated recruit on 247sports, picked up a Michigan offer during his senior season. Wyatt Teller flirted with UVA only to break the Hoos hearts and choose the Hokies at the end of the summer.

The put it convincingly, in the seven years I’ve covered Virginia Tech recruiting, this is the most complete class our coaches have assembled. There are no projects, no guys who will need four years to develop, and no me-first types. The Virginia Tech coaching staff found talented players who fit their lunchpail mantra and recruited them. Unlike in past years, the Hokies rarely missed this year.

From top to bottom it’s a great class. Combine this group with a lot of talent in the 2012 class and it’s hard not to be excited about the next few years. With the right X’s and O’s adjustments, the Hokies could emerge as National contenders once again.

The Hokies will have their share of top recruits playing in nationally televised All-Star games across the country after Christmas.  Here's the list I've compiled.

Recruits Playing in All-Star Games

For those of you who enjoy watching some of these high school all-star games, here’s a list of who’s playing where.

Army All-American Game – San Antonio, TX – Jan. 5th, 1:00 p.m.

Self-billed as the Nation’s Premiere All-Star game, the Army All-American Game will feature two Hokies this year. The first player is five star cornerback Kendall Fuller, who will dress for the East squad and likely star. Next is four star defensive tackle Wyatt Teller who will also suit up for the East squad. Both are likely starters heading into the event. Both will make their way to San Antonio I believe on December 30th.

ALSING1b 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star StuddedHokie Fans! Do You Use a Smoker or BBQ for Pork or Beef? Or Do Any Type of Grilling?

Alsing Meat Claws 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star Studded - These meat handler forks make shredding smoked pork or shoulder a breeze.

The folks at Alsing are offering Virginia Tech Fans the chance to get them on Amazon 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star Studded at a 30% discount with Promo Code 'MEATCLAW'

Under Armour All-American Game – St. Petersburg, FL – Jan 5th, 8:00 p.m.

The Hokies will only have one player participating in the Under Armour game this year. That will be four star safety Holland Fisher. Honestly, these All-Star games don’t really prove a whole lot. Obviously, you would like to see your team’s player make some plays but I’m just interested in seeing where Holland lines up. Also, I want to see how he does in coverage against a capable quarterback.

Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl – Los Angeles, CA – Jan 4th

One of the newer bowls will feature VT offensive line commit Braxton Pfaff. I don’t know a whole lot about this game since it doesn’t seem to have a website at this time. But according to Twitter, Pfaff will participate in this game. I have no idea if it’s on TV or not.

Offense-Defense All-American Bowl – Houston, TX – Dec. 30th

Four star quarterback Bucky Hodges will put his skills on display at the Offense-Defense Bowl in Houston, Texas. There is a host of top prospects at this event as well so I’m intrigued to see how Hodges handles the competition. Most of these all-star games are a little ragged so I’m not expecting a whole lot out of him in the passing game.

If I missed anything please let me know. There are so many All-Star games now it’s hard to keep up with all of them.

facebook logo 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star Studded
186 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star Studdedyoutube icon 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star Studdedemail 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star Studded

feed icon 2013 Recruiting Class Is Star StuddedEnjoy this post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed and never miss another! Or sign up to get exclusive VirginiaTechFan.com Sports Analysis delivered straight to your inbox!

josh December 18, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Do you think the OL we recruited are able to come in and contribute sooner rather than later?

justinc December 18, 2012 at 6:34 pm

It’s hard to say because those guys, unlike skill position players, need more time to develop. Rarely do you have a first or 2nd year OL that’s about to compete at a consistent level. But, I like Braxton Pfaff a lot and I think Osterloh does some good things. Chung is a little more uncertain but once he gains some weight he’ll be effective. His Dad was a beast so I’m hoping those genes got passed down.

Ben December 18, 2012 at 6:18 pm

Are you more excited about Bucky hodges or Carlis Parker? Also can we still take on any recruits? If yes who might they be? And did Derrick green commit anywhere yet?

justinc December 18, 2012 at 6:38 pm

Both players are raw in the passing game but I like the attributes of both. Bucky is a big guy that will play at 6’5″ and 245 lbs. He’s elusive to an extent and I think he has above-average arm strength. Parker is a sub 4.4 guy that can fly but his mechanics are extremely raw. He’s inaccurate at times because of that so it wouldn’t shock me to see Parker end up at wide receiver depending on how quickly he progresses as a QB. Having Carlis here in the spring could be extremely beneficial. If we hire a capable QB coach, who knows.

It looks unlikely that we’ll take anymore but I keep hearing 2* Jonathan McGlaughlin’s name pop up. He’s an ECU commit but he has a VT offer. It might come down to the last week or so before Signing Day as to whether or not we take him. He’s a Fork Union kid that was recruited by us last year. He just had some work to do in the class room. Outside of him, I don’t see anybody else popping up.

Green has not committed elsewhere but we are no longer pursuing.

LJ December 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Really Justin, justifying why we did not get every recruit is a true homer approach? Please…Justin Allen has lived here since 8th grade and he is not truly an “in state football player”! What? Stone Bridge fans are shaking their heads at that one…And BTW Hackenburg is head and shoulders above Bucky…so much so that some recruiting services list Bucky as either an athlete or a dual threat QB. Bucky will struggle for a long time in college; he had a couple of bad HS games this year, just so happens he had a very good surrounding cast at Salem… I like the kid but I think he will get beat out eventually at VT..and Also Dissing Derrick Green, are you kidding, he has all the makings of a stud in college…225 lbs. and a 4.3 40? I mean Smoke Mizzle was my favorite in state RB but he is going to UVA and will likely have little support and will have to do it himself. Fuller, Fisher, Teller are going to be studs…you are correct..and there are a couple of sleepers in Shegog, Facyson and Jefferson. (Harris if you count him) But the rest are still projects no matter how you slice it..and will need some good coaching at new positions or system adjustments! Hey I like the class as a whole mainly because they did not give away a scholarship for a change…Also, I think our use of the redshirt is obsolete…look at how many freshman made an impact at the big time schools? Kids coming out of HS these days are college ready…there were several RS Freshman from last year that absolutely could have helped this team!

justinc December 18, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Green isn’t a 4.3 guy. He may be on a track surface but he’s not on the field. Hell, no one runs a 4.3 in pads. Also, I’m not a huge fan of Mizzell unless he went to a WVU style of offense. He’s not a between the tackles runner and that’s what he’s going to be at UVA. Good athlete but athleticism doesn’t always translate.

As for Bucky, I agree he needs some work but I’ve never been a huge fan of Hackenberg. He’ll be a good college QB but I think ESPN still has him as one of the top QBs in the country. I’m not sure I agree with that. He spins the ball well but he’s not an elite QB in my eyes.

Also, Allen grew up in Alabama and still has family down there. He may have been here since 8th grade but that doesn’t make him a VA kid. At least not in the same way as a Macho Harris, Michael Vick, or Lee Suggs. He has no allegiance to this state.

bp December 19, 2012 at 11:13 am

Yeah LJ, if you like UVA or WVU or something just go cheer for them.

It is one thing to want the best, but take it easy man, and how do you know how good they are all going to be are you like a recruiting coordinator for a school or something?

Alec December 18, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Justin- Are you suprised DaeSean Hamilton chose Penn State? I thought he was a lock in-state. Did Tech and UVA stop recruiting him?

Scott December 19, 2012 at 11:38 am

Justin,
SO….I think the biggest question on the minds of all Hokie fans is….
WHAT if anything will happen with the Offensive coaching staff? Any rumors with truth to them? Thanks again for the great articles!

Go HOKIES!

justinc December 19, 2012 at 11:42 am

Right now, it’s hard to say but I think there has been some truth to a few of the rumors. There are going to be changes. But how far does Beamer go is completely up to him. I mean he’s never been a guy to overhaul his entire staff. We should know something within a few weeks after the bowl game.

Gbd December 19, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Yeah this is a very solid class but with recruiting you never know! I hope Moss sticks with tech he is a major sleeper who should be rated higher then he is, I think we got 3 out of the top 5 in the state in my mind in Fisher, Teller, and Hodges. The guy going to UVA Mizzell is a beast he’s neck and neck with Fisher for top player in VA in my mind. And answering the one guys question about coaching changes I know someone who works in the athletic dept and the told me that Big money Boosters have been complaing all year that they want changes so YES changes are coming.

VTnyc December 19, 2012 at 10:25 pm

I’m excited for Shegog. He seemed to have had a great senior season. How was the level of talent he played against?

Mark December 20, 2012 at 2:19 pm

What do you know about OT Jonathan McLaughlin at Fork Union? Sounds like we have a shot. Would be nice to get another OL in this class.