Virginia Tech Hires James Johnson as Head Coach

by JustinC on April 30, 2012 · 11 comments

• wp socializer sprite mask 32px Virginia Tech Hires James Johnson as Head Coach

20120225 lbm  ad5 179 extra large large Virginia Tech Hires James Johnson as Head CoachAccording to some reports out there, including this one by CBS, Virginia Tech has named former assistant James Johnson as head coach of our Men's Basketball team.  Johnson has spent the last five years as an assistant under Seth Greenberg and is the reason a lot of players negated the idea of transferring.  This hire will likely keep the team together and will allow us to keep current commit Montrezl Harrell, who was flirting with Kentucky while the Hokies searched for a new coach.

Overall, I like this hire.  Johnson is a very well liked and very friendly individual.  He is almost the exact opposite of Seth Greenberg in a lot of ways.  But the reason I like this hire is because a lot of our players will like this hire.  Johnson is a player's coach.  He's a guy that can bond with our guys and will once again bring back a team atmosphere in Blacksburg.  Plus, he's been our best primary recruiter over the past few years so that doesn't hurt either.  I think when it came down to crunch time, Johnson just made the most sense as our head coach and I'm happy to keep him in the Hokie family.

ALSING1b Virginia Tech Hires James Johnson as Head CoachHokie Fans! Do You Use a Smoker or BBQ for Pork or Beef? Or Do Any Type of Grilling?

Alsing Meat Claws Virginia Tech Hires James Johnson as Head Coach - These meat handler forks make shredding smoked pork or shoulder a breeze.

The folks at Alsing are offering Virginia Tech Fans the chance to get them on Amazon Virginia Tech Hires James Johnson as Head Coach at a 30% discount with Promo Code 'MEATCLAW'

We'll have more on this hire after it's been made official by Virginia Tech.

facebook logo Virginia Tech Hires James Johnson as Head Coach
186 Virginia Tech Hires James Johnson as Head Coachyoutube icon Virginia Tech Hires James Johnson as Head Coachemail Virginia Tech Hires James Johnson as Head Coach

feed icon Virginia Tech Hires James Johnson as Head CoachEnjoy this post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed and never miss another! Or sign up to get exclusive VirginiaTechFan.com Sports Analysis delivered straight to your inbox!

Nick April 30, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Solid hire let’s just hope this isn’t Ricky Stokes all over again. What kind of offense does he run, also are their any rumors on possible assisants. This should keep Finney-smith I hope.

LJ April 30, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Nick-a solid pick? More of the same…lets just stay a football school and be done with it… I wish James Johnson the best of luck. However, Weaver is opening some eyes about his competence level as an AD. Johnson has been an assistant at Ferrum, Longwood, Hargrave Military Academy, Old Dominion, Elon, The College of Charleston, Penn State and George Mason and an assistant at VT for 5 years and is 41 years old…not what MOST OF US FANS HAD IN MIND.. The chances of Johnson taking the program where Seth could not is not high. Maybe 20-1? I know players love him but at the end of the day respect and coaching ability leads to W’s. I hope he does well but if he does not do well this one is on Weaver. With the personnel coming back VT should win 20 games, I believe Seth would have? If the program does not make the NC2A in the next three years I for one would like for Weaver to step down. With the selection of Johnson, Weaver will either look like a genus or an idiot. No middle ground this time…Only Time will tell

lala April 30, 2012 at 5:20 pm

” If the program does not make the NC2A in the next three years I for one would like for Weaver to step down. With the selection of Johnson, Weaver will either look like a genus or an idiot. No middle ground this time…Only Time will tell”

ZOMG THE SKY IS FALLING WHAT WILL WE DO?!?!

Lol did you really expect Shaka Smart? C’mon Mannnn…..

justinc April 30, 2012 at 6:02 pm

I think that’s a little unfair. First off, let’s say we get a guy like Shaka Smart or Jay Wright. They come here, we make the tourny the next two years. What are the odds they stick around if say UCONN or UNC comes calling? Very slim.

I think Johnson is a good fit and he’ll keep the team together. Odds are, if we landed anyone else, Erick Green would have transferred along with one or two others. That would put that new coach in a drastic hole to dig out of.

I think we should give JJ a chance. He’s a personable guy, great recruiter, and a guy the players are going to give 110% for. For the money, I think he was probably the best man for the job. Now, if we go 10-21 in 3 years. I think you can say it was the wrong hire but for now, I’m giving Weaver an A on this one.

LJ April 30, 2012 at 9:20 pm

If anybody comes here and does well they will always leave for the UNC’s or UCONN’s if they come calling including JJ? That’s the reality of a second tier program. What happened in this case is Weaver made a bad call by firing Seth this time of year and JJ is the ONLY choice he had. No other HEAD coach would entertain the job. He could only get JJ this late in the game. I spoke with a couple of head coaches I know and they said as much. AS for Eric Green and the other potential defectors, it’s never a good idea to let the inmates run the asylum. Most new coaches come in and tell the players that if they are not in 100 percent they need to leave now. JJ has never proven he can coach, he has proven to be a good recruiter but now the pressure is on. Cutting your teeth as a head coach in the ACC is very difficult. I love VT but cant support this move: Below are the other ACC coaches and their record, who on that list do you think JJ will have an advantage on?
Mike Krzyzewski, DU 36 900-284
Roy Williams, UNC 23 643-163
Jim Larranaga, UM 26 470-334
Leonard Hamilton, FSU 22 376-327
Mark Gottfried, NCSU 10 279-154
Mark Turgeon, MD 13 249-158
Brad Brownell, CU 9 187-97
Brian Gregory, GT 8 172-94
Steve Donahue, BC 9 167-151
Jeff Bzdelik, WF 8 119-129
Tony Bennett, UVa 5 100-64
JJ

Tyler April 30, 2012 at 9:49 pm

When will we most likely know whether or not this hire causes us to keep or lose montrezl harrell and marshall wood?

justinc May 1, 2012 at 11:01 am

We’ll know on Harrell soon but both Harrell and Wood are at Hargrave so I’m not sure if they’ll enroll this fall or not. They have the option of staying there and going through the recruiting process again if they want. If not then they can enroll at VT this summer. It’s up to JJ to sway them back our way now.

Hokieg May 1, 2012 at 7:37 am

This was the easiest, cheapest hire Weaver could make. Fits his profile. I’m sure JJ is a good guy and may be a good coach someday but I dont think the ACC is a place you trial run guys or settle. It should give leverage to hire experience and prior success.

Billy May 1, 2012 at 10:02 am

I like this hire. JJ is a guy that will devote his life into the program. All hokies need to remember, no one had ever heard of Shaka Smart prior to him making the noise in the tourney two years ago. The next great coach has to come from somewhere and JJ has all the tools to make this happen. I like the hire very much and I think all you haters will be sorry you doubted Weaver on this one. You all can jump on the bandwagon when it comes back around….

Chachi May 1, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Before anyone forgets their history lessons, Frank Beamer wasn’t exactly a top-tier coach when Tech hired him, and then he was almost fired for having a down season after a few years on board. The reality is that Tech is not going to drop 2 million+ on a new bball coach, and we need to find a young, hungry coach willing to invest his life in our program. Maybe JJ is that guy, maybe not, but I believe he has paid his dues at Tech and proven that he cares about our Hokie family. Give the man a break and let’s see how far he can carry the lunchpail.

LEE hYDE May 1, 2012 at 8:56 pm

Bad choice, I’m sure James is a great guy and a good person. However, to recruit at Tech you are going to need a national recognized coach and pay $$$ to getthe program to a national level. Frank beamer is well known and one of the best in the country and we still can’y\t recruit champioinship teams. Blacksburg is a tough recruit town.