2011 Numerical Roster Countdown: No. 20 Jayron Hosley

by JustinC on August 14, 2011 · 10 comments

• wp socializer sprite mask 32px 2011 Numerical Roster Countdown: No. 20 Jayron Hosley

Picture 112 2011 Numerical Roster Countdown: No. 20 Jayron HosleyWith 20 days left until Virginia Tech takes the field against Appalachian State, we turn our attention to number 20 on roster, Mr. Jayron Hosley. The junior is coming off a record-tying season as he finished the 2010 campaign with nine interceptions. However, Hosley will move over to boundary corner this fall where interceptions will be much harder to come by. Still, with Hosley one-on-one on the short side of the field and talented youngster Kyle Fuller manning the wide side of the filed, Tech fans should be licking there chops at the potential this duo has.

Stats

Height: 5’10”
Weight: 170 lbs
Position: Cornerback
Year: Junior
High School: Atlantic High School

How Did He Get Here

The Hokies don’t often get Signing Day surprises but the coaches certainly pulled one of their magic lunchpail back in the 2009 class. Hosley was down to Virginia Tech and USF before visiting Tech a week before NSD. He wound up choosing the Hokies. Jayron might go down as the best player to ever commit to Tech on National Signing Day.

2010 Season

The Florida native had himself a season in 2010. Hosley tied the school record with nine interceptions and did that all while missing the ECU game. That one game suspension really turned not only Hosley’s career around but turned this Hokie defense around. While this group wasn’t great last year, Hosley and this secondary really become the strength of this defense after the Central Michigan game.

2011 Prospectus

The only question mark surrounding Hosley entering this 2011 season is how he’ll do at boundary cornerback. His first two seasons here was spent at field corner where he could drift downfield and read the eyes of the quarterback. Now, he’ll be matched up in a lot more one-on-one situations this fall. Despite that, I do think Hosley has the potential to be an outstanding boundary corner and an All-American at the end of the season.

While the Florida native will certainly be a key member of this defense, I’m excited to watch him in the return game as well. Normally, it takes a year or two to master returning kicks at the college level and with 2011 being Hosley’s third year as a punt returner, needless to say I’m expecting a touchdown or two out of him this fall. Hosley could also return kickoffs as well if David Wilson or Dyrell Roberts gets hurt (knock on wood) or needs a breather for any reason.

Career Highlight

Too many to list but this video does a good job of showing them all.

ALSING1b 2011 Numerical Roster Countdown: No. 20 Jayron HosleyHokie Fans! Do You Use a Smoker or BBQ for Pork or Beef? Or Do Any Type of Grilling?

Alsing Meat Claws 2011 Numerical Roster Countdown: No. 20 Jayron Hosley - These meat handler forks make shredding smoked pork or shoulder a breeze.

The folks at Alsing are offering Virginia Tech Fans the chance to get them on Amazon 2011 Numerical Roster Countdown: No. 20 Jayron Hosley at a 30% discount with Promo Code 'MEATCLAW'

Career Lowlight

That one game suspension might have cost him the interception record so I think that would probably be his lowest of lows.

Look A-Like

Picture 23 2011 Numerical Roster Countdown: No. 20 Jayron Hosley

Allen Iverson

Completely made up fact

After his recent trip to Hollywood to film a bit on ESPN’s Sports Science, Jayron is now fielding calls from the people at A&E. They are interested in him starring in a show called the “QB Whisperer”

facebook logo 2011 Numerical Roster Countdown: No. 20 Jayron Hosley
186 2011 Numerical Roster Countdown: No. 20 Jayron Hosleyyoutube icon 2011 Numerical Roster Countdown: No. 20 Jayron Hosleyemail 2011 Numerical Roster Countdown: No. 20 Jayron Hosley

feed icon 2011 Numerical Roster Countdown: No. 20 Jayron HosleyEnjoy this post? Subscribe to our RSS Feed and never miss another! Or sign up to get exclusive VirginiaTechFan.com Sports Analysis delivered straight to your inbox!

rob August 15, 2011 at 8:04 am

We missed out on Kenneth Crawley he committed to the Vols. Did Ricardo Young’s decision to transfer affect his decision for the Vols over VT? And what does that leave us with? Another player that we could have and should have got, but hopefully we make up for this.

justinc August 15, 2011 at 9:45 am

We stopped recruiting Crawley a while ago actually. So, I don’t consider this a miss.

Josh August 15, 2011 at 8:20 am

Just a side note here on Jayron. Enjoy him this year because he will not be back at VT next year. He’s already told people that this is his last year. He has the potential and probably will ne a 1st round pick.

justinc August 15, 2011 at 9:48 am

Yea, I wouldn’t be shocked if he leaves as well. I still think he needs a good year. You cant go to the NFL if you miss some time with an injury or something. That’s something you really can’t control but if he does well, I don’t expect him back next season. Honestly, I hope Jayron does have a great season and can get selected in the 1st round. Not only is that a great opportunity for him but it’s another thing we can pitch on the recruiting trail. Also, we have plenty of young CB talent waiting in the wings so we’ll always be good there.

Josh August 15, 2011 at 8:43 am

Also, in response to Rob’s comments, I believe this class may wind up a failurein a lot of people’s eyes. When all is said and done, and I dont mean to be a pessimist either, I think we may miss out on the majority of the big fish out there that we are recruiting. I’ve heard that Joel Caleb is going to wind up at WVU, Stefon Diggs is more than likely going to Maryland and I personally believe we are going to miss out on Korren Kirven and Ken Ekanem. I’ve heard that Ken is leaning towards UVA which would be a huge blow. I believe these are 4 of our high ranking recruits that we are after. I’m not sure about some others; Wes Brown and out of state kids, but the general consensus is that we are going to miss the boat with them. On top of that I believe we are not going to sign all the kids that are verbally committed. I believe we may have 1 or 2 spurn us for another school. Mainly, I believe that Donadven Manning is going to go on somewhere else, possibly an SEC school. Even though Jawand Blue is Brandon Flowers is his cousin I believe Miami may still offer him and he’ll go there. I think that would be 2 huge decommits! At the end of the day what started out as a class that filled up extremely quick and created a lot of hype may end up as a faikure in a lot of VT fans’ minds. I hope i’m wrong but that’s what I think.

justinc August 15, 2011 at 9:53 am

Caleb isn’t going to WVU. He’s interested in them but that would surprise a lot of people. Also, Kirven is going to play the game, take some official visits, but I still expect him to end up at VT. Diggs isn’t going to go to Maryland. Dunno where you heard that but that would be more of a shock then Caleb going to WVU. Ekanem is open right now but I think ND has the upper hand because he still wants to be an OLB instead of a DE. UVA and VT run a 4-3 scheme whereas ND runs a 3-4. However, I do agree with you on that one. For some reason, I do think Ken ends up at UVA.

I don’t think this class will be a failure. We already have a great class and getting 2 or 3 more of the guys we’re in the running for would be icing on the cake. You can’t say a class is a failure before these guys even step foot on campus. Look at our 2011 class. Not many Tech fans were excited about it on signing day and now 7 of those guys are fighting to play this season. The majority of the kids we signed in that class look like their going to be starters for us down the line. That’s pretty good for a 30 something ranked recruiting class.

Josh August 15, 2011 at 10:21 am

I’m not personally saying this class will be a failure. I’m saying that I believe people will view it that way because we are going to miss out on some of the big fish out there. I personally believe in there is power in numbers. If we sign the kids we have now I believe that is going to increase the competition and make everyone better in the end. I personally believe though that we are going to lose a few recruits, as I mentioned, which will hurt this class.

Also, just to clarify according to what i’ve read on stefon Diggs his famiky is pushing for him to stay close to home and are very high on MD. This is a surprise to me as well but this has came up several times.

Joel Caleb has spoken very highly of WVU. They run a pass oriented/spread offense where he could, and probably would, touch the ball early and often. This may be way off but this is my gut feeling and goes in line with what i’ve read.

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but thats my interpretation of our current situation.

justinc August 15, 2011 at 10:31 am

I honestly don’t blame you for feeling that way. Going by past history, our coaches haven’t close well down the stretch, especially last season. But we’re set up well with a a few kids like Drew Harris, Joel Caleb, Korren Kirven, Chris Brown, Stefon Diggs, and Chris Mangus. Also, I still think Tech could offer a couple kids who happen to blow up during their senior years. Kinda like we did with Nicolas and Maddy last season. I think this class will end well. I’m not saying we close with all of those guys but if we get 2 or 3 at positions of need then we’ll be fine. For once, I think our fanbase will be happy on Signing Day. :-)

Josh August 15, 2011 at 10:37 am

Well do you think we lose out on any of the recruits that are currently committed i.e. Donaldven and Jawand? With us losing out on TJ and now Mario ti lose a few more guys would really be a big blow.

justinc August 15, 2011 at 10:48 am

I don’t think we will. With Manning potential taking officials still the chance is there but unless Torian Gray takes a new job between now and Signing Day, I think Manning and Tookes will end up at VT. It’s going to be a battle down to the end but that happens when you recruit guys with a lot of talent. As for Blue, I don’t think he decommits but I would understand it if he did. We have 5 LB’s and location could play a factor. However, his family is very pro-VT so if I had to guess I think he sticks as well.